Right now, with remote connections, there are a lot of pdf’s and dwg’s being dropped into projects from user’s desktops. This is actually a preferred method of working, as it is faster than trying to link to the file server through our VPN. It is important to not, however, that files drag/dropped into views or onto layouts from a desktop need to be vetted.
- If the file needs to be in the file long-term, it needs to be embedded (break the link)
- If it is short term, delete the drawing after you are done with it
- If you do embed a drawing, verify the pdf/dwg file size before dropping into the project
- Maximum file size for embedded pdf should be 2-3 MB
- Maximum file size for embedded dwg should be 5-10 MB
There are some work arounds to reduce file size. We can use PDF compression before dropping into a file, and we can open and eliminate complex fills from a DWG.